- 20 million Americans have depression
- 40 million suffer from anxiety
- Anti-depressants is the second most prescribed medication in the US, after cholesterol medication
- And approximately 14% of the population suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder (S.A.D)
Don’t despair, there are a few things you can do.
One of my favorite things to do during winter is a daily Chi Kung practice. Chi Kung teaches through specific movement, focus and breath work a way to rejuvenate the body. Daily practice will add ease and joy to your day. A good move are hip circles, which helps the kidney meridian, a good way to destress the body.
Nutritionally here are some supplements that can help balance the mind, mood and body:
- B-Complex: Better known as the Happy Vitamin. It helps prevent sugar cravings, converts food to energy, regulate blood sugar and makes office/life more peaceful.
- Moodlift (St. John’s Wort): If you live in Europe, a psychiatrist would recommend St. John’s Wort for mild to moderate depression, insomnia, mild anxiety, and migraines.
- Vita D-3: It improves heart and brain functions, sleep, can help prevent cancer, and enhances weight loss.
- Omega Guard (Fish Oil): It helps prevent memory loss, depression and reduces the risk of heart disease.
- Stress Relief Complex: It blunts cortisol production, relaxes the body and promotes alertness
- Optiflora Capsules (Acidophyllis): It supports healthy immune system, digestion and protects the lining of the stomach from the acid environment.
And finally LAUGHTER! The idea is to relax and enjoy the holiday seasons. We change physiologically when we laugh. We stretch muscles throughout our face and body, our pulse goes up, and we breathe faster, sending more oxygen to our tissues. And laughter appears to burn calories, too. A researcher from Vanderbilt University, conducted a small study in which he measured the amount of calories expended in laughing. It turned out that 10-15 minutes of laughter burned 50 calories. So let’s laugh more this Winter!
The whole idea is to work with the body and not against the body. Exercising, taking the right supplements, eating healthy and laughing are ways to get your body back in balance, healthier and enjoy Winter.
So beat the blues and live life with Zest!
Stump for gift ideas this holiday? Every year friends and family call me for great, good quality gift ideas. This year, I decided to create a list and yes, I did checked it twice and below are my favorite picks.
Shop from now till November 30th and get FREE shipping for orders over $75.00.
Let the shopping begin!
TO SLIP IN WITH A CARD
- 180 Pomegranate Tea Stick(s) with a Girardelli Chocolate Square with a little note to “enjoy this gift of energy” and to “remember to enjoy all antioxidants all year long.”
- Energy Chews with a little note to “enjoy the energizing treat of Olympians.”
- 180 Drink Mix Packet with a little note “a gift of healthy fast food this busy season.”
- Performance Sports Drink (Orange or Lemon-Lime), 180 Snack Bars, and Joint & Muscle Pain Cream along with a sports bottle, football, soccer ball, a signed ball or signed photograph.
- 180 Snack Crisps (Sea Salt or Barbecue or both) in a basket circled with ribbon along with some movies or a subscription to NetFlix, etc.
- ENFUSELLE Anti-Aging Skin Care collection with a lighted makeup mirror.
- Cocoa Meal Shake or 180 Chocolate Shake Mix Canister or Packets for healthy hot chocolate snacks along with a warm hat, scarf, and gloves.
- ENFUSELLE Infusing Mineral Masque and Skin Polisher with a silky robe, one in each pocket.
- ENFUSELLE C+E Repair in a chic black matte cosmetic clutch with a designer mirror.
- ENFUSELLE AM Repair with a beautiful scarf in a gold organza bag.
FOR NEIGHBORS AND CO-WORKERS
- Cocoa Energizing Soy Protein with the recipe for cocoa soy-peanut butter “energy balls” and a festive container full of them. Or Instant Protein with a container of fruit or chocolate dessert bars made with it and the recipes.
- Travel Bag filled with ENFUSELLE Products along with travel magazines and/or a video of a fun destination.
- Chewable C and/or ENERGY CHEWS in a beautiful candy dish wrapped with a big bow.
- Instant Protein Soy Mix with pumpkin bread or cranberry/orange bread you’ve made, using it as an ingredient, along with the recipe.
- 180 Tea with a cute teapot and tea cozy or 180 Vanilla Chai with cool coffee mugs.
- Meadow Blend Cleansing Bar sewn into satin material and decorated as a drawer sachet, or wrapped in a pretty handkerchief tied with a velvet ribbon.
- Joint & Muscle Pain Cream with a tag wishing them many nights of perfect sleep!
- Toffee & Chocolate Crunch Snack Bar wrapped with a ribbon.
FOR YOUNG PARENTS AND KIDS
- Basic-H2 Organic Super Cleaning Wipes and Germ Off Wipes with some fun tub toys, or a set of baby clothes, blanket, etc. (Include info why these products are safer for baby and the whole family.)
- MIGHTY SMART “Smart Candy” with books and fun pens for a grade schooler.
- Vita-Lea, Meal Shake and a SHAKLEE Shaker with a fun wake-up alarm clock.
FOR SERVICES PROVIDERS
- 180 Snack Bars wrapped in a see-through colorful net and tied with ribbon
- ENFUSELLE Shower Gel, ENFUSELLE Hand & Body Lotion, and Bath Sponge in a pretty shower caddy or with a set of monogrammed towels.
- Chewy Apple Cinnamon Bars with some polished apples in a festive box or basket.
FOR MOM, GRANDMOM AND AUNTS
- Joint & Muscle Pain Relief Cream with a microwaveable comfort pillow.
- 180 Tea with a cookbook of decadent gluten-free desserts.
- ENFUSELLE Firming Serum with a pretty scarf, or jewelry, or designer shades.
- Get Clean Pitcher (possibly with a year’s supply of filters) with a set of fashionable drinking glasses, ice trays, fresh lemons.
- CorEnergy and B-Complex with boxes of various kinds of teas and a mug.
- Menopause Balance Complex with a box of chocolates.
FOR DAD, GRANDDAD, UNCLES
- A bottle of VIVIX with a bow and a nice calendar with a message about having a “youthful” year.
- Vitalizer with a picture of the kids or grandkids or great grandkids. And add ENERGY CHEWS with a gift of gym membership.
- Herbal Blend Multi-Purpose Cream with some nice slippers. Include a note about how the cream soothes sore tootsies year round–refrigerate it to cool in summer.
- NUTRIFERON with ear muffs and HAND & BODY LOTION.
- SHAKLEE Sun Screen SPF 30 with sun hat, ball cap, sunglasses, or picnic basket.
- 180 Turnaround Kit or Lean & Healthy Kit to start the new year right, along with a funky calendar, and a coupon for a shopping spree for clothes in 90 days.
- Orange and Lemon-Lime Performance Drink Canisters with a walking audio like Dr. Weil’s. (Remember that mixing the two flavors gives you a tropical flavor!)
- Ultra Moisturizing Shea Butter Cream with gift of a massage.
- Performance with gardening things like a hat, cotton gloves, and/or kneeling pad. You could add Joint & Muscle Pain Cream, and Basic-H2 as a safe bug repellant, an invisible glove, as fertilizer, and more.
- PHYSIQUE Recovery Drink and Joint Health Complex with a jump rope or exercise DVD for someone making new year resolutions.
- ProSanté Hair Care System with a really nice brush and hair things, along with info about how hair will stop falling out.
If you still need more gift’s ideas, visit my online store or shoot me an email at email@example.com
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family and live life with Zest!
Produce Dramatic Skin Results in 28 Days
Skincare is very important to me, especially since I have very sensitive skin. I remember trying different brands, including expensive brands, and after a few weeks, my skin would return to what it was before – oily, dry spots, and unhealthy looking. One time, I even got what it looked like a chemical burn! Horror!
When I found Enfuselle Skin Care products, my skin immediately felt different and happy! The products are versatile, which means you get your money worth because there’s no need to try 10 million products. I’ve been using the complete Enfuselle Skin Care system for over 10 years. I constantly get compliments of how radiant my skin looks and I have very little wrinkles for a woman of my age – which makes me very happy!
So this holiday, pamper Your Skin with the Enfuselle Skin Care system. This luxurious skin care system makes your skin look like a million bucks.
The Enfuselle Nutrition Therapy Skin Care is formulated with our exclusive Vital Repair+® to block ALL those skin-damaging, free radical reactions and encourages you to have healthy cells so you see smooth, luminous skin. Clinical studies confirmed a remarkable 665% increase in skin firmness in just 28 days. Each system includes:
- Purifying Cleansing Gel – keep skin’s natural emollients
- Purifying Toner – triple action turns off pro-oxidant damage
- Time Repair A.M.® SPF 15 – visibly diminishes lines and wrinkles
- C+E Repair P.M.® – firmer, younger looking skin
- Eye Treatment – fine lines and wrinkles seem to disappear
- Balancing Moisturizer – lightweight formula nurtures and hydrates skin
- Refining Polisher – rejuvenate, exfoliate, and protect
- Two Dispensing Pumps
This holiday we are running a special, become a Shaklee member and get the system (normal to dry OR normal to oily) for $187.45 + a FREE tube of Enfuselle Spa Ultra Moisturizing Shea Butter Cream. This luxurious shea butter is extracted from the fruit of the shea tree and has amazing moisturizing properties with a wonderful consistency that soaks deep into your skin, leaving it smooth and hydrated and it’s paba free!
Beautiful skin is really healthy skin. The same nutrients that keep you healthy in the inside, plays a huge role in keeping you looking good on the outside. It only makes sense that your skin care comes not from a cosmetics company, but from the company that knows nutrition, inside and out.
Be in love with your skin and live life with Zest!
Today I spoke to group of people about stress. We talked about how Biodots can help you become aware of how many times we are stressed out in our day.
Each time you have stress, your heart rate and breathing speed up, muscles tighten, blood pressure goes up, and digestion shuts down so we don’t have the digestive enzymes we need. Our thinking becomes more focused and we operate on the fight or flight channel. (Sympathetic Nervous system)
Our other channel is the rest and digest channel (Parasympathetic nervous system). Both are important but most of us have our the pedal on the medal and we are constantly experiencing physical burn out making fatigue the number one reason people are going to the doctors. In addition, two thirds of us are overweight which means the body is out of balance and depression is on the rise as well as life threatening illnesses like heart disease, stroke, cancer and diabetes.
Is it all in your head? I hear many people say I have stress but I have it under control. Whether you have it “under control” or not, stress is wreaking havoc on all systems and it will show up unless you are the man or women of steel.
We have a three pronged approach to reduce the impact our modern lives are having on the quality of our lives.
- Dietary approach: Keep your blood sugar balanced. Starts by eating a breakfast with 24 grams of protein, like a Shaklee 180 Smoothee and throughout the day eat 5 small meals with protein and carbs together. Research shows that people who do this eat fewer calories during the day. Reduce sugar in your diet. Did you know that the average person eats 22 teaspoons a day of sugar, equivalent to 250 calories, mostly found in processed foods? The American Heart Association recommends 6 teaspoons a day. Start by eliminating processed foods that contain high in sugar like cereal, salad dressings, and bread. If sugar is one of the first 3 ingredients, it is 50% sugar.
- Supplements: We burn through nutrients under stress. Replenish your nutrients with:
- B-Complex: The “stress vitamins” often recommended for depression, PMS, mood swings, irritability, nervousness, fatigue, mental confusion, sugar cravings, hypoglycemia, anxiety attacks, cracks on the corner of your mouth, low immunity and hair loss. B vitamins are depleted by sugar, alcohol, mental and physical stress, processed foods, and caffeine. Essential to normal weight, B vitamins convert food to energy and during weight loss, fats to energy.
- Sustained Release Vita-C: Lost under stress, it is an antioxidant that offers protection from colds, viruses and infection AND many of us do not get enough vitamin C from our diet.
- Optiflora - Because “bad” bacteria in our intestine can cause excess gas & bloating, weaken our immune system, and increase our risk of cancer AND Optiflora prevents those problems by providing a regular source of “good” bacteria, which crowd the “bad” bacteria out of our system. Stress reduces our good bacteria leaving us open to infection from viruses.
- Essential Omega-3 Complex: Because studies have shown that populations that consume fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids have a very low risk of heart attack and stroke AND clinical studies have shown that omega-3 fatty acids reduce at least three of the major risk factors associated with heart disease. It is also known to be used for depression. Did you know our brain is composed of good fat?
- Unsure of what to take from above? Vitalizer is a comprehensive program which addresses all our lack of nutrients we lose while being stressed.
The Wellness Profile Program is a special service for people who are not sure which supplements to take.
Fill out our assessment form of clusters of symptoms and we recommend a program specifically for you. I can also see areas of concerns like digestion, sugar issues, and adrenal fatigue, which is a result of stress. In addition, you will learn which foods to add to fill in the nutritional gap.
Wellness Profile: normally $125, now $99 during the month of November. GREAT GIFT!
Have stress in your head? Teach the body to reduce your stress efforts with simple breathing practices. Alternate Nose Breathing balances the right and left brain, regular practice can teach the body not to overreact to each stressful event.
My favorite balance exercise is Qigong, a Chinese health practice based on gentle movements, meditation and breathing. It is a good practice to teach the body to respond less.
Kick stress out of your head by starting with a balanced nutritional plan supplemented with vitamins. Adopt a breathing routine and/ or add a QiGong practice to bring mind and body in sync.
In the meantime, live life with Zest!
The standard tried and true techniques are not working for a lot of my clients and they are feeling sleep deprived, tired, cranky and can’t think straight. And sleep deprivation can cause weight gain. So not getting adequate shut eye for a lot of folks may be the reason for the popularity of zombie movies, because people relate to how a zombie looks and feels.
So why you aren’t getting 6-8 hours of sleep?
- You are a late night eater. There are two reasons why you would want to close the kitchen 3 hours before bedtime for better sleep:
- Acid reflux. When we lay down soon after we eat, the acid in the stomach can back up into the esophagus and cause burning. This pain keeps up a lot of clients who have come to me.
- Night time is when energy switches from keeping us moving to restorative, detoxing and reviving the cells. By eating late, we are not switching to that phase of our day and it can disturb our sleep and lead tired adrenals, (our stress gland). Which leaves us feeling tired all day.
- You think yoga will help you sleep.
- Exercise, even yoga stretching, can be a physical stimulus and can rev up your body. In place of that, before going to bed do 15 minutes of conscious relaxation to get your body ready for sleep. Lie on the floor with your legs on the couch at a 90 degree level, place a towel and pillow under your head and neck and cover your eyes (reduces stimulation to the nerve center in the brain that keeps you awake), take slow deep breaths and clear your mind.
- Or try Shaklee non-habit forming Gentle Sleep Complex. Shaklee’s Gentle Sleep Complex contains passion flower, German chamomile, and valerian. Valerian has been used for over a thousand years because it helps maintain a calm state, promotes relaxation, and is a natural means of promoting restful sleep.
- You like wine before bed.
- You fall asleep fast but wake up when the wine has been metabolized and you get knocked out of our sleep cycle. Alcohol is only initially a sedative. Best thing to do is drink with dinner at least 3 hours before bed.
- Your cortisol levels are off kilter.
When circadian rythumus and the stress response is normal, your cortisol levels are high in the morning and low at night so you can sleep. With the reverse, you eat close to bedtime and cortisol gets your body reved up at a time it should be winding down.
Taking Shaklee’s Stress Relief Complex right before bed, helps relax the body and mind by blunting the inappropriate and excessive release of cortisol. Take 2 at bedtime to ease the body into relaxation and rejuvenation.
Look at the circadian chart below, it shows times to eat during the day, so that we have the energy we want all day and are able to rest at night. A few changes in your daily eating patterns will give you more ZZZ’s.
Heed this tips so that dress up as a zombie, and not feel like one.
Live Life with Zest,
My passion is to help stressed out professionals stay out of the danger zone, like I was back in 1987. I was in the danger zone with pain, allergies, weight gain, depression and uncertainty of what to do next. My twins were 3 years old and I didn’t have the luxury of resting my back. You can imagine the stress of not being able to keep up with energetic boys.
In the Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs, I was stuck in ‘Safety and Security’:
I began my journey after doing a few things to feel better fast. It was then that I was able to tackle the next phase to regain my life after I had hurt my back while working with spinal cord patients – talk about irony!
My first challenge was that my energy was drained from pain. An older gentleman told me that if I took a few Shaklee Supplements (he called them food lets) I would get my body back in balance and I would feel better in 30 days. I didn’t believe him. However, in a week, I started feeling like my old self again physically. My mental health improved and I had the energy to try other things that helped other things. Amazing! This is what I would recommend for anyone who wants to feel like their “old” self again.
- For breakfast I drank Shaklee Soy Smoothees (non GMO). I felt so good, that I stopped drinking coffee…I didn’t need it!
- In addition, I took:
- Shaklee Vitalea, to balance the body
- Vitamin B, for sustainable energy
- Vitamin C, to improve my immune system and combat allergies
- Acidophilus (Shaklee Optiflora) for stomach pains
- Fish oil, an anti-inflammatory and anti-depressant
- And finally, CorEnergy (ginseng and cordyceps mushrooms), to combat adrenal fatigue.
The Vitalizer allows the nutrients to be better absorbed and it’s in a cost effective package.
Feeling better was my first step. I then worked with a chiropractor, and then moved to simple Ivengar yoga classes. In the end, I gained confidence in my body again.
So this Fall, start out with these simple smart ways to feel better and share your progress with us!
In the next few newsletters, we will discuss how stress can affect sleep and the immune system.
In the meantime, Live Life with Zest!
Here is a Sunshine Special:
From October 10 to October 25, 2013
Purchase $100 or more of Shaklee products from my website:
and get a FREE bottle of Shaklee Vita-D3 (Vitamin D3)