This weekend I was visiting friends, who I see once a year in the Adirondacks. We were there for a “Bobeque”, named for my friend Bob who has a Birthday in June! I am in the navy striped shirt. It was a big party – there were 84 of us with lots of food and drink!
Seeing my contemporaries inspired me to take on trimming my middle. Four of them have lost weight, and if they can do it so can I! But trimming your waist is more than just losing weight. There are some physiologic causes of why losing that stubborn belly fat can be difficult that I wanted to share:
1. Insulin resistance: After years of eating foods high in carbs (sugar and alcohol) your cells do not respond to insulin. The elevated blood sugar converts blood sugar to fat. And what’s the best place to store fat? Your belly!
2. Adrenal imbalance: You’ve all see the TV commercials about cortisol. The more constant your stress the more your body puts out cortisol to respond to fight or flight, but it’s about actually acting on it. When we don’t physically respond to it we store that energy as fat.
3. Sex hormone imbalance: After age 35 our estrogen and progesterone levels begin to wane. The body hangs on to extra fat in the belly – and fat cells produce estrogen.
Here are 5 tips:
1.Watch your carbohydrates. Try for 16 grams at every meal and 7 grams per snack. Look at both foods and drinks. This will help with the insulin resistance. Limit or avoid the following foods:
Fruit juice, soda, white bagels and bread, beer, wine, white crackers, white pasta and rice, sugary sweets (even fat free!).
Weight training and yoga will build muscle. And the more muscle there is, the less fat that gets stored.
Also, take a Glucose Regulation Complex at every meal. It will help your body use sugar, so it doesn’t get stored as fat and increases your energy!
2. Take steps to reduce stress. This will reduce your cortisol level. Incorporate a daily practice of deep breathing and meditation to build up your “relaxation muscle.” This will increase your tolerance of stress and the body will put out less cortisol.
While you are doing that, Stress Relief Complex, is an herbal formula that contains Ashwagandha Root (an adaptagen), and helps the body within 30 minutes to chill out!
3. Balance your hormones. Reduce the burden on your body!
Balance your body with hormone supportive herbs such as black cohosh, flaxseed oil, dong quai, red clover extract, and licorice extract. All can be found in one formula: Menopause Balance Complex
Add healthy fats to your diet with foods like salmon, walnuts, olive oil, and avocado so you have the building blocks to make hormones. Also, GLA Complex is an excellent addition to since it contains the healthy oils that most of us don’t get enough of.
4. Build healthy gut flora. Recent research says having the right kind of good bacteria in your gut plays a huge role in your weight. Here is a great system of pre and post biotic.
This is a system to give your body a triple encapsulated pearl that will not be released until it gets to the right part of the gut, and a powder that will enhance the growth of good bacteria.
Also be sure to eat more fiber (bacteria thrives on that) and avoid refined carbs, as they help your gut grow bad bacteria!
5. Add a metabolic booster. This can to help you burn more calories, and of course, fat!
Here are 2 choices:
Shaklee180 Energy Tea: With dehydrated green matc , red robos and white tea.
Metabolic Boost: this does two things. First, it helps balance blood sugar so it addresses insulin resistance. Second, it contains the ingredient in green tea that boosts your metabolism.
These are some tools to help you, when you see old friends and are newly inspired like I am! I am here to answer questions, personalize your program and offer support. With over 25 years of experience in medicine as a RN, a fitness teacher and helping many reduce the stress in their lives, I can be there to help you trim your middle!
You can do it!
Live Life With Zest,